From: "Monte Dodge" <montedodge@msn.com>
To: "pct-l" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 5:47 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Gimme Shelter!!!

> No , not the Grand Funk Railroad song, but the ones made of rocks and old
boards!!
>    Most older hikers remember the nice Dana Yelverton Memorial shelter in
the goat rocks. This shelter was built by volunteers for a young gal who
died of exposure years ago in hopes of saving others. Since this was in a
wilderness area , it was destroyed because in was unnatural.
>    I am glad the powers at large didn't ruin Muir Hut as well or Mt.
Rainer's Camp Muir! These icons get more graceful with time and serve as
real shelter ,esp. on winter trips.
>    Most the shelters in the Olympic Mts. have been torn down which is a
big mistake. One small damp and worthless shelter is found at Deer Lake on
the PCT only 3 miles North of White pass. This is not shown on many maps
today and was " Overlooked" in early 80's shelter bashing scheme. This
though is a Godsend in winter and the damp floor is a nice white platform.
( Check out Jonathon Ley's website . " www.phump.com" for great winter
pics!!