[pct-l] Thru-Hikers and cans (was Scary bear story & not hanging food)

> I have come to the belief that the whole issue of cans and some of the
> thru-hikers that are so against cans is not one of discomfort or
> inconvenience, but rather one of rebellion, one of attitude and belief
> that thru-hikers are above the rules.

I disagree.  I cannot even fit a bear can into my 1900 c.i. pack.  When
I trail ran the JMT, I carried a 900 c.i. lumbar pack, no cannister
will even come close to fitting in there.

Carrying a can goes against the whole "ultra-light" philosophy.  If my
entire pack base-weight is 8lbs, adding 3 more lbs is increasing my
base weight by nearly 40%!!!  Why should I try to eliminate EVERY
single item in my pack that doesn't have multiple uses, except for
one?  The bear can reverses all my hard work of getting pack weight
down to an absolute minimum.

Then there is also the cost issue.  Bear cans are not cheap, you cannot
easily rent them on a thru-hike, and they do not provide any usefulness
for hikes where they are not required.  It will end up being just
another item in my garage.

The park service should look at their policy on bears.  Bears are not
endangered, and they are not threatened.  If they would allow very
limited and well-managed bear hunting in the park, bears would very
quickly become scared of people (the way its supposed to be) and would
no longer bother hikers and campers.  Why is is illegal to carry a gun
to protect yourself, your spouse, or your children from a bear, but it
is not illegal to carry a gun to protect livestock???  Is this not the
ultimate left-wing wacko law??  when cattle and mules are more
important to protect than human beings, something is definitely awry.
I understand that people *might* abuse the law if it were legal to
shoot bears to protect people, but surely we could figure out another
way around this.

I know that this will unleash a huge backlash of environmentalist
rhetoric, but there is nothing wrong with discussion.  tht's why we are
on this list, right?

peace,
dude