From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Eric Lee (GAMES)
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 9:42 AM
To: Craig Milo Rogers; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Wildfires near Acton, CA, and Vicinity

Craig wrote:

        A new wildfire, the Crown fire, started near Acton, CA, today.
It is burning in Aliso Canyon.  The Angeles Forest Highway has been
closed, and there's concern that this fire might burn to the top of
the San Gabriel mountains -- perhaps even to Wrightwood.  So, while
the fire's still a few miles from the PCT, it's probably not a good
idea to go hiking in that area.

At this rate, I'm wondering if there's going to be any vegetated
sections of the PCT left by the time I get to hike it (in, oh, about 15
years).  On the positive side, once the whole thing burns I guess we
don't have to worry about fires any more.  Sigh.

Eric