[pct-l] First Hiking Trip of the /season

I live very near the Sawtooths range in central Idaho and usually I do not
go up there until August and Sept and early Oct.  This being due to the late
snow melt off and the mosquitoes.
We planned this weekend trip and my friend and I hiked up to Matson Lake
about 8,000 ft. All set to fend off the mossies.  Set my tarp tent, hung our
food and set off to visit another lake for the afternoon. About 3 p.m. the
Thunder, Lightening and rain started, so we hustled down to our site and the
tarp tent.

I had set the tarp up in a A-frame configuration staked down to the ground
and 2 side pullouts so as not to have any silnylon flapping around our
faces. It all looked good to me. From 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. the next morning it
just poured, I have netting each end so we were not bothered with the bugs.
We ended up putting our packs with their pack covers at the foot end, and
our Frogg toggs raingear at the head end (more netting). Well this solved
our problem with any splash coming in.  However what did soak up the water
was the sides of the Tyvek.  It was fine on the part we slept on, but
anything that was left on the tyvek beside your pad got very wet. We were
fine if we stayed on our pads.  At one point my partner woke up and it
sounded like the rain had let up a little, she went out to relieve herself
and doggone if a little black frog jumped in the tarp tent, that caused a
little excitement as we did not want it in our sleeping bags. Guess it was
raining Frogs <:) The ground was saturated with so much water coming down.

Anyone have the experience of their Tyvek getting wet around the edges?

At about 6 a.m. next morning we thought the rain had let up a little, so we
got up and packed up all the wet gear and headed out.  I was hiking in my
silk long underwear which I sleep in.
(it was not cold) with my Frogg Toggs over it. We made good time getting out
to the car a little over 4 hours and it just poured the entire way.  I
discovered that my underwear top was sopping wet just in the sleeves. I do
use poles to hike with. I am a firm believer in the Frogg Toggs and every
other part of me was dry. I have not hiked in this kind of rain for a long
time.  In fact it also poured for the two hours it took to drive home.

Anyone have this type of experience with their Frogg Toggs and how did you
solve it.

Cheers,
Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge