[pct-l] filters ? who needs 'em !!!

On 04.07.15, dude wrote:
> I agree.  in 1998 I did the JMT with zero treatment or filters.  just
> scoop and drink.
>
> The Sierra can accomodate this technique, but the lower areas cannot
> accomodate this as easily, especially those near livestock.

	Here's an interesting paper on the topic.  It focuses on
giardiasis, but also discusses other intestinal parasites:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~rockwell/Giardia.pdf

	To me, the most compelling assertations in the article are:

1)	20% of the world's human population have asymptomatic giardiasis
	(4 to 7% of Americans).

2)	You are more likely to get giardiasis from the water of an
	off-trail swimming pool break than from drinking unfiltered
	Sierra water.

3)	You are more likely to get giardiasis or other intestinal problems
	from contact with other hikers:  shaking hands, sharing food,
	sharing equipment, etc.  [I think that this applies to contact in
	town as well as contact on the trail.]

	I've met several hikers who drink unfiltered water most or all
of the time while hiking, and they've remained happy hikers.  On the
other hand, if you read the current TrailJournals entries, you'll see
that there are hikers out there today who are suffering intestinal
problems, often identified as giardiasis.  Some of these individuals
are certain that they've always filtered or treated their water.  Go
figure.

	As a child, I had 2-3 episodes of respiratory problems (croup,
ets.) requiring hospitalization, which is retrospect we decided were
due to swimming in a stream we hiked to in the Santa Monica Mountains.
There weren't any cattle at the swimming hole or its immediate
vicinity, and the water was clear and flowing, but there was a cattle
ranch upstream.

	The rules I presently follow are:

1)	If I'm anywhere in cattle country (and some of the National Forest
	and BLM land through which the PCT passes *is* grazed by permit):

	1) I filter or treat the water before drinking or cooking with it.

	2) I don't wet my head with it.

	3) I thoroughly dry my hands after washing them in streams, and
	   preferably clean them with an antiseptic solution, before
	   handling food or equipment, touching my head, etc.

2)	If a water source is stagnant or algae-contaminated, avoid
	contact if possible, treat as above if not.

3)	If the water is clear, from a clean source, and I'm not
	in cattle country, then I'll consider swimming in it or
	drinking it without filtering or treatment.  Call me
	reckless.

	At Bird Spring Pass Resort, I tried to limit hiker-to-hiker
(and hiker-to-trail angel!) germ transmission by serving individual
containers of sodas and sports drinks rather than the (more
economical) one or two-liter bottles.  I tried to provide individually
wrapped servings of snack foods, etc.  Nonetheless, I provided water
in gallon or larger containers, bread by the loaf, cheese that was
presliced but still had to be peeled from the brick, etc.; I'm still
working on the system.

					Craig "Computer" Rogers