[pct-l] filters ? who needs 'em !!!

If you really must carry a filter, allow me to suggest you get one with a
field-cleanable element inside ( like the MSR Waterworks
http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/). Notice I did not say "replaceable - all
filter elements are replaceable.

If your filter is not field-cleanable, then you are forced to carry both a
filter and a spare filter element, as you can not determine when an element
will fail. Forget about how many gallons (of perfectly clean water) the
manufacturer says the element will filter before it's time to change the
element. Filter elements die every day from clogging, mishandling, etc.
Glacial flour (very fine rock dust) can be invisible to the naked eye in
water and yet will plug a filter in a heartbeat. I saw it happen to 4
filters from 4 different manufacturers at one stream on the Tahoe Rim Trail
in the space of less than 5 minutes, and the creek water was perfectly
clear!  Rock flour. Only the MSR filter, in which you can carefully scrape
away the outer layer of the filter element, was able to be resuscitated and
even then never returned to "normal" flowrates.

I'll stick to Aqua Mira or iodine tablets. I also use vitamin C powder to
eliminate the iodine color and flavor after the iodine has had its 30
minutes of contact time. CAVEAT: If you do use vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as
a neutralizer, you MUST rinse the water container completely several times
to remove any residual vitamin C before adding the next does of iodine.
Failure to do so can neutralize the new iodine as fast as it dissolves.

Wandering Bob