[pct-l] Verbenia Fire -- Snow Creek x Hwy 111, San Jacinto Area

	There's been less coverage of this fire online than I
expected.  Summary: The PCT is closed from Fuller Ridge to I-10, and
the fire has likely burned over the trail.

	For this fire, the National Fire News Wireland Fire Update Web
site (http://www.nifc.gov/fireinfo/nfn.html) points to the California
Dept. of Forestry and Fire Protection's CDF Major Incidents website.
The CDF Major Incidents web page has't been update to include the
Verbenia fire, but if you follow the "Fire Information Phone Numbers"
link, you should see the following reference:

Verbenia Fire
CDF Riverside Unit/Riverside County Fire/US Forest Service
909-940-6985
Updated: 7/13/2004 9:02:22 AM

	I called this number and talked to a firefighter to ask about
whether the Verbenia Fire affected the PCT.  This particular
firefighter wasn't familiar with the PCT.  I wanted to have a
definitive reference on hand before continuing the conversation, so I
hung up and: 1) booted my laptop into Windows, 2) downloaded and
installed today's Critical Windows updates, 3) rebooted into Windows,
and 4) started Topo! to pull up a topo of the area.

	I called back and described the path of the trail.  The firefighter
confirmed that this area was within the fire operations zone.  I asked
if someone would please post a fire area map on the Web site.

	Next, I called the San Jacinto Ranger District of the San
Bernardina National Forest.

San Jacinto Ranger District
54270 Pinecrest
Idyllwild, CA   92549
(909) 382-2921 (voice)

	Here I got more definitive information.  The PCT is closed from
Fuller Ridge Trail to Snow Creek.  The Black Rock and Boulder Basin
campgrounds are closed.

	Here are some news stories on this fire:

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2268413,00.html
http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/9981558p-10903154c.html
http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories2004/local/20040713013700.shtml

					Craig Milo Rogers