[pct-l] Scout Merit Badge Hikes

> I am working with Boy Scouts in Troop 3 in Corvallis, Oregon on their
> Hiking Merit Badge.
>
> This will culminate with a 20-mile dayhike -- and of course the PCT came
> to mind.

I agree with goforth.  I am a backpacking advisor for Girl Scouts and work
with girls ranging from 4th grade to 12th grade.  The girls start out on shorter
hikes/backpacks and each month they increase their mileage.  Some of these
girls have backpacked the Grand Canyon and I still do not push them to do 20
miles in a day (they would kill me if I did).  The girls hike/backpack only on
the PCT.  As I was also an Asst. Scoutmaster for Boy Scouts Venture Crew, I've
been on the 20 miler with the boys.  Since the 20 miler is a requirement for
the Hiking Merit Badge, maybe select terrain which is not as rugged for their
age and ability.  Make sure the boys are conditioned for the hike and work up to
20 miles.  Once they are ready, select an area of the PCT which would allow a
jump out in case the boys cannot do the entire 20 miles.  There are small
segments of the PCT in Oregon which the boys could use as conditioning hikes in
preparation for the 20 miler.  It would give you an opportunity to judge each
boy's ability to actually do the 20 miles.

Donna Smith
Girl Scout Troop 3000 Backpacking Advisor