[pct-l] VVR

When you say Belden Town, I'm assuming you are talking about the resort
itself, There are two other viable sources of re-supply there besides the
resort.

1. The US Post Office - go across the Belden bridge to the highway, turn
left, walk about 0.7 mile and you'll see the flag waving on the right
(north) side of the highway and about 75 yards off the highway. There's a
large private log home just west of the PO, which is the TINY out-building.
The postmistress there - Dorothy - is a true hiker friend. Although the PO
is not open on weekends, she has been known to drive the 10 miles from her
home to accommodate hikers, but don't depend on that.

2. My article from the ALDHA-West GAZETTE - Winter 2003

New Belden Trail Angels

By Wandering Bob Bankhead

When PCT hikers arrived in Belden California last July, they found something
new had been added - Little Haven. This non-commercial hikers' respite is
the home of trail angels Laurie and Brenda Braaten. These are experienced
hikers, having section hiked the AT from 1995-99, and both The Long Trail
and Grand Canyon twice. They open their home to hikers during the month of
July - just right for you through-hikers. Laurie says any speed-demon hikers
passing through in late June before they post their trailhead signs should
call them from Belden to see if they can accommodate them. Little Haven is a
work in progress, so be prepared for on-going construction projects. The
summer of 2004 will be their second season of hosting PCT hikers. During
June and July, you can call them at (530)-283-9880 or email them anytime at
LJBraaten@aol.com.

Little Haven sits on 5 acres 1.1 miles east of the Belden bridge, along the
Feather River Highway. For reference, the PO is 0.7 mile west  of the
bridge. Laurie and Brenda invite hikers into their home for one night,
possibly longer if you're willing to help with the remodeling as the place
is developed. They will pick you up in Belden if you call them when you get
to the resort. They keep a supply of Coleman fuel and denatured alcohol for
hikers.  Shuttle service is also available to the PO, trailheads, or the
Caribou Corners Store, about ? mile east of Little Haven.  Caribou Corners
has a laundry, a restaurant, TV, phones, and some hiker's supplies.

The guest quarters have a single bedroom with a couple of mattresses, a
self-service kitchen with the usual appliances, table and chairs, an
unfurnished living room, and a deck. There is a bathroom with shower for
those who need it. Laundry service is  not available so you'll need to do
that at Caribou Corners or the Belden Resort; also no TV or internet. Last
summer they hosted about 100 hikers. If you have a phone card, their phone
is available for short calls to let the outside world know you are still
alive.

Animals are not allowed in the house but they can stay outside if properly
tended and trained not to bark or growl at, or bite others. There are no
pens so dogs must be tied up at night. You may be required to camp outside
overnight. If you have horses or pack animals, there is a corral at the
Belden trailhead  and adequate camping space; Little Haven has no facilities
for them and the highway would be a dangerous walk for them.

Little Haven has very limited storage space so can't hold everyone's
re-supply packages, and the mice know where the front porch is, so you're
better off to send your package to the PO. They will hold packages for you
if you anticipate a weekend arrival  - the Belden PO is closed weekends.
They prefer you use the US mail and recommend you address your package as
follows so either you or they can pick it up.

                                    Hiker's Name

                                    c/o Laurie or Brenda Braaten

                                    General Delivery

                                    Belden, CA 95915

Trail Angels everywhere host us tired, filthy, smelly hikers out of the
kindness of their hearts, not for money. It is therefore our responsibility
to remember our manners so that those who follow us will continue to receive
the same warm welcome we got. Happy trails."

Wandering Bob