[pct-l] RE: Washing Silk Bag liners;repellent

I do not know what the original formula of Woolite was; heard some
speculation that the formula was changed as the ingredients became more
unavailable or hard to get (toxic). I know that it really gives  wool and
silk a harsh dry feeling, and the resilence and softness is lost.
Apparently, if you do not rinse the woolite REALLY well, there is a residue
that continues to work at the wool for years.

I asked some of my weaver friends about the Smart wool merino socks that I
can agitate in the washer, use any old detergent, and dry in a hot
dryer -all with out shrinkage:  The wool is coated with a special chemical
to prevent shrinkage.  Regular wool is very sensitive to temperature
changes, agitation, and detergent - I put a fleece in the washing machine
and went away while it was filling and in a minute of agitation, I ended up
with felt.

Some detergents may be bug repellent.  I know that Bounce and other fabric
softener sheets are tied on to horses for bug repellents. And it may well be
that some dish washing liquids have skin softeners.

I use the following tick and bug repellent for myself and my horses (I
wouldn't use it at all but by the time the horses have it on themselves, I
am covered as well):
    2 cups white vineagar
    1 cup Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil
    1 cup water
    1 Tb.Eucalyptus Oil ((most food coops or heath stores have this).

I absolutely hate the smell of this stuff, horses and me smell like old
whores after it is done!!!

Goforth
----- >