[pct-l] youngest through hiker?

Hi,

I guess getting introduced to hiking young is great, but sometimes it takes
time. I did not get into hiking before my 19th birthday... So maybe there is
hope for your kids yet :-)

Actually, I always hated it when my parents took me on weekend outings,
hiking short distances. Being an only child may have contributed to that. My
parents just did not seem to be interested in the same things. Hiking in
Europe for them was walking from village to village, looking at all the
churches from the Middle Ages, and museums of modern art etc. etc., while I
thought the cows were much more interesting...

Then when I was about 19 my boyfriend and I hiked a couple of hours, then a
couple of days, and then a couple of weeks. We discovered that it was a
wonderful thing to share and enjoy together. We noticed that there were
things we would never have seen (either because they would have been
unreachable or because we would have wooshed past them) if we would not have
been hiking.

I think hiking has really done something wonderful for us. We're still
together 13 years later.

Saskia

> From: <pcnst2001@covad.net>
> Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 00:21:43 -0400