[pct-l] Multiuse Gear

Sleeping Pad (Ensolite or whatever) - Add:  Leg splint for blown out knee or
broken bone.  In '99, Brian and I came upon a hiker who had trashed his knee.
We used his ensolite pad and some duct tape to immobilize his leg.  He was
able to hike out about eight miles to a trailhead.

Hiking poles - Add 1. Excellent for relocating rattlesnakes when it's not
practical to go around them.

Hiking Poles - Add 2. Push-pole for counterbalancing food higher than Yogi
can reach.  (Doesn't work with Yosemite Yogi's.)

2-liter Coke bottle - Half empty, makes a good pillow.  Has anyone dared try
this with a Platypus?

Hat, shirt, shorts, socks.... - Substitute for bandana/towel.

Bandana/towel - Substitute for hat, shirt, shorts....

Hey, can we work this into some kind of ADZPCTKOP contest?  For the most
outrageous, innovative, why-didn't-I-think-of-that, use for an otherwise merely
useful item of hikers' gear?  First prize might be a roll of TP with section
maps printed thereon, which then serves it's primary purpose as each section is
completed.  Jeff Schaffer could produce these as an addendum to the Trail
Guides, and we wouldn't have to tear up our copies of the books!