[pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

> who out there tries to stick to the trail come hell
> and high water (unless a resupply point is within a short hiking
> distance), and how many out there have no problems leaving the trail,

Personally, I have no problem leaving the trail, but it has to be for a
purpose (such as resupply, or injury, etc).  I've hicth-hiked all up
and down 395 with absolutely no problem, and usually met some cool
people by doing so.  Also, I usually hitch back to the point at which I
left the trail in order to resume hiking.

If your question is really more about what constitutes a true thru-
hike, from the posts I've seen on this list as well as talking to
others on the trail, this varies WILDLY from person to person.  This is
also where the HYOH philosophy comes in.  There are fanatics out there
who say that if you didnt walk every single step of the PCT, then you
didn't thru-hike.  There are others who take it even further and say
that if you walked every step of the trail but slept in a hotel in a
trail town, then its not an official thru-hike.  Still others say that
is quite alright to skip tiny sections of the trail in order to hit
resupply points more efficiently or to hole-up in a hotel room for a
week or more in an effort to restore health or morale.

In reality, the only thing that matters is that YOU feel good about
your hike.  If you set out to walk every step of the trail and end up
skipping a 1/2 mile section so that you can hitch a ride to your next
supply point because you met someone on the trail willing to give you a
ride, does that mean that you failed to accomplish your goal?  Only you
can answer that, and your answer is the only one that matters.

peace,
dude