[pct-l] Bear Attack.... or Food for thought

Capt Bivy

Because of hikers and backpackers carelessness they expect every bear to be
shot. When you posted this some trigger happy Ranger will have a reason to
shoot the bear. Sleeping  on your pack with food in it raises a lot of eyebrows.
You should have a bear bag or Canister.They never had a bear dumpster there
they had a varmits dumpster which is not effective against bears. It was removed
after pigs (humans) left the garbage scattered around the camp ground. Littler
Jimmy Camp Ground after a week end can be a real dump. Last year Fish and
Wildlife killed the mother bear not knowing she had a cub which wondered around
following hikers for weeks. The cub tried to play with  my dog. What a pity, I
don't know what happen to the cub perhaps its the bear who took your pack.

Let see group of 04 has had two forest fire and this year so far. With posted
like this there will be more to follow.

Lonetrail

post another for my section
C and D trip and water report...............

I got to Little Jimmy in the San Gabriels about 5:30.  I usually hike
'till 8, but it was getting cold and the if I was going to climb any
further I was going to be camping at 8500 feet.  Besides, there were
several people already there.  I have a bad memory for names, so
earlier on the hike I was writing the names down as I passed, but I
had lost my pen, so I wasn't doing that anymore, but two of the
co-campers with me were Ertman and Bobby Compton.

Anyway, when the first hiker got to Little Jimmy there was a big ol'
bear in camp.  Now, I'm not sure how he knew, but he said there was a
scout troop there the day before and they were quite hassled by the
bear.  The others hung their food, but I didn't have a rope, or any
experience in the Sierras (I'm from San Diego and do most of my
hiking in the desert) with bears.  I kept the food in my pack and use
my 30 year old Kelty Tioga as a head rest.  The hip belt pad is just
the right height off the ground for a head rest.  I was sleeping
restlessly, but quite, when the bear pulled the pack from under my
head, dropping my head to the ground.  BEAR IN CAMP........BEAR IN
CAMP, I yelled.  Only Ertman stirred.  I borrowed his photon (my
light was in the pack) and walked up where I thought the munching
sound were coming from.  Two reflector eyes caught the beam of the
light.  GGGRRRRRRRRR..........GGGRRRRRRRRR, I SCREAMED.  The bear
returned my yells and took the pack further uphill.  Ok, that was
dumb.  Instead of warding the bear off the pack, he dragged it
further away.  Time to go to sleep and wait 'till morning.  It was 2
am.

They had problems with a bear at Little Jimmy last year.  All the
locals I talked with said, "I heard they solved the problem last
year, they shot the bear."  So, I guess were have a new bear.  I also
heard that they use to have a bear box........until the bear
destroyed it.

We wrote notes on the camp bulletin board, and since I was going
southbound I told everyone.  I talked to Billy Goat about it and he
said he does the same thing as me......just keeps his food next to
him.  I'm going to rethink that option.

Captain Bivy