[pct-l] JMT bagagge & cameras

When I take a pack on a plane, it depends on which pack I bring as to
whether or not I check the pack.  If I am going on a climbing trip or a
backpacking trip in which my large 5000 c.i. backpack is required, then
I check the backpack.  I do protect it by placing it inside a heavy-
duty industrial garbage bag and zip-tie'ing the end shut.  (I bought a
box of these industrial garbage bags from Home-Depot about 5 years ago
and still have some left.  These bags are SUPER strong and durable).  I
beleive that placing the backpack inside a garbage bag does a number of
things:
- protects the backpack from the conveyor belts and other machinery
that can grab or tear straps and loose ends.
- keeps the pack cleaner.
- disguises the value of your pack and its contents (seeing a $300 pack
might make some people realize that in addition to the pack, there is
probably an expensive tent, sleeping bag, parka, etc in that pack.
I've never had anything stolen at an airport, but why take the chance.
most airlines will only insure a bag for upto $200, which doesn't even
cover the cost of one expensive item, let alone 4.  If you are worried
about that, I think you can buy extra insurance.).

Of course, checking baggage always incurs the risk of the airlines
losing your backpack.  I have probably checked my backpack 20 times,
and it has been lost once coming back from mexico on AeroMexico
Airlines.  After calling them and pestering them for weeks, they
eventually found my backpack in Miami (I was flying to Houston).
Nothing was missing.

If I am going ultralight (which I would be for the JMT), then I would
bring a much smaller pack that would be able to be carried on and I
would carry it on the plane.  Carrying on your pack makes things sooo
much easier.  You don't have to worry about lost luggage.  You don't
have to wait for the luggage at the carrousel and you will make it out
of the airport faster.  The only downside is that you can't bring as
much extra gear and therefore cannot have some luxuries like
comfortable clothes for the ride back (like sweats, birkenstocks,
whatever).  As a side note, I have done the JMT twice in this manner
and always have stopped in Bishop and bought clothes at a secondhand
clothing store there for my trip back.  Its a great deal; you can buy a
t-shirt, shorts and socks for like $6.

If you do carry your luggage on the plane, remember that you cannot
take stuff like:
- tent stakes
- ice axes
- knives (even tiny swiss army)
- nail clippers (yes, i've heard of people being stopped for this)
- scissors
- trowel for digging cat-hole
- leatherman
- hiking poles (never heard of this, but it would'nt surprise me)
- anything else you even suspect would raise an eyebrow.

HTH.

peace,
dude