[pct-l] Trail Nutrition

There are some thruhikers who like the stoveless approach.  I hiked with
"Little Bob" on the AT in '02 for a while.  He did the whole trail "cold".  While
it was simple, even he complained about the monotony of the meals.  He really
enjoyed those town stops!

Another stoveless hiker that I met just a few days ago on the AT at Rockfish
Gap, VA, is "Grasshopper".  He's fast and light, and plans to hike the PCT N>S
this year after he completes the AT S>N.  Wish him well if you meet him on
the trail, and tell him, "Hello! from TrailDad".

Just my opinion, but it's pretty hard to rehydrate pasta and other dried
foods without hot water.  So, you end up carrying a lot of water content in your
pack if you don't use a stove.  I don't think the weight savings, if any,
justify the limited food choices.  But some hikers like the simplicity.

_____