[pct-l] Re:

Hi list
I was at Cottonwood Trailhead when the hikers came out @ 11:30pm Wednesday
night. They used my cell phone to notify the fire department.

They didn't tell me they had started the fire but they didn't have to...

I adjusted my plans and will hike this segment next week.

In my questioning thru hikers I talked to Thursday and Friday North of the
fire many were ignorant of what they where required to do to as a condition
of their California Fire Permit, if they had one.

I don't know exactly how this fire started but I'll bet they didn't have the
proper clearance of flammable materials should something goes wrong. I think
this is borne out by the fact they were cited.

Does anyone have details of what exactly happened? perhaps we can all learn
something from this.

We as a community need to ensure this doesn't happen again, to educate the
less informed who don't realize just how flammable the brush is here in
California, and how lucky we are no one was killed. Not to rant and rave,
engage in name calling and flaming.

Trail90