[pct-l] Re: PCT section hike

Tokio John wrote: "which section would be ridiculous to even consider doing
in late July:

1. N to S Cameron Rd. (526.5) to Walker Pass,  or

2. Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadows

Would like to do both and exit over Mt. Whitney via Crabtree Meadows.
Concerned about heat and water supply. Am I nuts?"

Well, "nuts" is always relative, isn't it!  My thoughts run along these
lines: hot (temps in 90s to 100s), dry, unlikely to find maintained water
stashes, and very likely chance of nearby forest fires blowing smoke through
Walker Pass.  That section in late May & early June of '94, a relatively wet
year, was warm, dry, and the spring in Kelso Valley was a muddy stew,
complete with a bovine ribcage.   So, yes, you very well might be nuts.  Why
are you considering these sections for this time of year?

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94