[pct-l] re: trail libations

>>Then there was the time I carried a bottle of
>>champaigne with me to  celebrate my birthday.
Carried >>the bottle all the way back out too.
>>Enjoyed toasting my birthday with a group I was
>>leading.

In 1998, my buddy packed in a bottle of Dom Perignon
up Katahdin to celebrate the end of my AT thru-hike.
First and only time I had a $100 bottle of fermented
grape juice.  :-)

Have packed in wine several times on local hikes. A
little vino, a mountain and a seeing sunset over the
Rockies seems to go well together.

Last year, two of my friends had a birthday on back to
back days. So we packed in cake, candles and of course
a bottle of wine. (Dante's Red. An inexpensive Chilean
Merlot if IIRC. Actually tasted great!).

We were up at ~12800' feet in the "Boulder Field" at
the base of Longs Peaks. (The campsite many people
camp at before climbing to the top of Longs Peak the
following day. Next to Pikes Peak, probably the most
famous 14er in Colorado).

As my not-so-distant ancestors came from a mountain
village in Italy, I'd like to think wine and the
mountains go together well for me. :-)

A pic of drinking wine at 12800' feet or so:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/Co03/aga

(and various wine drinking, cake eating and climbing
14er photos at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/Co03?&page=17

Phantazmo (PCT '02) who did a recent PCT DVD was also
on the trip. His DVD was shown the at KOP last year.
He lives not too far from me in Denver.

There! A PCT connection for this post...

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com