[pct-l] Re: [at-l] How's your air?

At 09:09 AM 5/6/2004 -0400, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>Geez..  I may have to leave the western North Carolina mountains for health
>reasons!
>
>How's your air?
>
>http://www.governmentguide.com/health_and_safety.adp?id=16101659
>
>Sly

Here, North of the Adirondacks, the air gets "P" (passing grade) on the
annual chart but a "C" (unhealthy for those under 14, over 65 or with
breathing and/or heart problems). Over the last few years I have noticed an
increase in smog in the Adirondacks. I find no data on the site above for
the High Peaks area (only 22% of the counties have monitors linked to the
site) but last year in particular I noticed a distinct brown tinge to what
I would normally dismiss as fog or low lying clouds on at least two of my
mountain excursions. I don't recall ever seeing that coloration 10-15 years
ago.