[pct-l] water at Scissors Crossing

As you've read, last weeek hikers went through 61 gallons in 24 hours!  When it's really hot, as it is this year, by the time hikers get through the desert to Scissors, some are in bad shape from the unaccustomed heat.  Jim Wermers and Anne Riedman have been stashing water at Scissors Crossing for about 5-6 years now.  As hikers are warned every year, do NOT count on water being there when you come through.

We've been putting out 36 gallons a day since April 20th at a minimum.  That means obtaining the 36 gallons, driving it there, and carrying it to the cache, taking away the empties, and tieing the bottles so they don't blow away in the desert.  And just think, Charlie and Jan carry the gallons 1.5 miles in to their stash at San Felipe Canyon AND all the rest that goes with providing water.

Honestly, friends, there may not be water at any of the caches when you arrive, but we do try to help you out so that you aren't suffering too much.  Some hikers who are unfamiliar or unprepared arrive at Scissors Crossing dehydrated, demoralized, and are thankful for the shade or bit of water they find.  Other hikers count on having water there, and are overwhelmed at discovering what the desert is really like.

Anne Riedman
Jim Wermers
San Diego (La Mesa) and Borrego Springs