[pct-l] SoCal Wildfire Update

	There are a number of active wildfires in So. Calif. today.
The largest fire is now the Cerrito fire, between Corona and Lake
Elsinore.  It is threatening thousands of homes; a few structures have
been destroyed.  A suspect has been arrested regarding the origin of
this fire.  This fire doesn't directly threaten the PCT.

	The Eagle fire, near Temcula, *is* moving east, towards
Cleveland National Forest and the PCT.  Reports on the fire's level of
containment vary.  It destroyed some structures overnight.

	There was a second fire near Temecula, the School fire.  It has
been fully contained.

	I have read speculation (although I didn't log the Web site)
that Cleveland National Forest may be closed to all recreational uses
due to the fire hazard level.  I called the Cleveland National Forest,
which refered me to the Eagle Fire information number.  They confirmed
that the fire has burned east of Veil Lake, but stated that there are
no plans at present to close the forest to hiking.

	Referring to my topo maps***, the Eagle fire might burn east
between the Cleveland NF and the San Jacinto portion of the San
Bernardino NF, say, through the Cahuilla Indian Reservation, near the
town of Anza.  This is a distance of 20 miles or so, from the fire's
present boundary to the PCT.  As we saw last fall, given the current
fuel burden and the right wind and humidity conditions, wildfire can
travel this distance is just a few hours.

	Please be cautious.

Eagle Fire information number:    +1-909-940-6985
Cleveland NF supervisor's office: +1-858-673-6180

http://www.nifc.gov/news/sitreprt.pdf
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOCAL_WILDFIRES?SITE=CASAN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
http://www.pe.com/breakingnews/local/stories/PE.AP_firerup04.18c7b94a2.html
http://www.pe.com/breakingnews/local/stories/PE.UPDATE.2004.0504.wildfires.18b5f97d9.html
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20040504-0958-wst-socalwildfires.html
http://www.fire.ca.gov/cdf/incidents/index.html
http://www.rvcfire.org:8080/firepio/process?action=viewIncident&id=9909
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/05/04/news/californian/5_3_0420_30_52.txt

					Craig "Computer" Rogers

*** By the way, I note that mu $$$ National Geographic topos on CD don't
    indicate the route of the PCT in this particular area!  CMR.