From: Dave Canfield
To: dsaufley@sprynet.com;bob mayon;pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Sent: 5/3/04 5:27:37 PM
Subject: RE: cottonwood creek bridge water

Hi Donna and Bob,
The water is on at Cottonwood.  I have been placing water at the shiny new shelter at Cottonwood for the early hikers.  Last Thursday, I checked the water and it was running.  The water comes out of a nifty new spigot on the side of the concrete block that used to have a basin in the top of it.  This block is located across the wash from the lean-to shelter, and is hard to see.  If you walk from the lean-to towards the small concrete building that is located on the aqueduct, you will cross the wash.  Halfway up the hill on the south side of the wash is the location of the water spigot.  There is a big sign on the concrete next to the water labeling it as an untreated water source.
Thanks to whoever went above and beyond at the LADWP for making this water source happen.
Regarding some of the other water sources in the area:
The cache at Lake Hughes Rd. is low.  I will begin adding to this cache this week.
I have already placed water at the junction of the PCT and Upper Shake trails again this year.  I will increase the volume of water at this location this year.  I may be hiking that section myself over Memorial Day weekend.
The water in the creek where the trail crosses Pine Cyn. Rd. is gone, as is the sag pond.  This is a bummer because Bob usually stocks a cooler with cold drinks that the creek keeps cold.  There will be a cache at the big digger pine just before crossing the road (I guess I should get a guide book so that I can state the mileage)
By the way, Darrell Gardener suggested that water be dated (labeled with the date placed) so that hikers may have an idea as to how long those bottles have been sitting there.  I saw some bottles that looked rather old out in the desert, so I am beginning to implement this suggestion.  I am also tying the gallon jugs together so that they do not blow away and create an even larger eyesore than they already are (unless you are very thirsty).

David Canfield
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Alfred E. Mann Foundation
(661) 702-6738