[pct-l] for experienced PCTer's

A couple of comments:

I don't think you need to take 2 pairs of shorts and convertible pants.
Nix one pair of the shorts.  Second, I highly, highly, highly recommend
that you not hike in the short sleeve shirt in SoCal and the Sierra, and
instead go with a long sleeve shirt.  In SoCal, the sun will chew you up
if you do not protect your skin.  Sunblock doesn't count.  Unless you are
planning on doing not much at all during the hours of 11 to 3, or are
hoping for a lot of cloud cover,  I would plan on covering up.  Now, I met
(and hiked with) a lot of people who wore t-shirts in SoCal and sine did
okay.  Some didn't.  Some ended up on buses heading home, or with their
thumbs out heading to the nearest town.  How many times have you seen
desert dwellers in shorts and a t-shirt?  In the Sierra, you'll have to
battle with mosquitoes in the valleys and with really tough reflected
light (off the snow) up high.  Having long sleeves helps with both.

I'm not a big short gaiter fan, so I'd probably leave them at home.
Others like them, though.  However, in SoCal you'll want to keep you
feet as cool as possible.  Having heavy weight nylon encasing them
isn't a super good idea but, again, some people find the advantages
outweigh the disadvantages.  In
the  Sierra, it is absolutely essential to have sunglasses.  Cheap Walmart
ones will work okay. Reflected light again, here.  I'd probably leave the
spare pair of underwear in the bounce box also.  Ditto for the
camp towel.  You have a capacity for more than
10 liters of water, which might be a little excessive.  However, water
bottles are pretty light.  Just make sure to use that capacity and
drink a whole lot.  By covering up completely and drinking lots of
water, you will be able to hike through the heat of the afternoon with
some comfort.  You might consider a pair of ear plugs for nights in
shared rooms, or even on the trail.  There are some loud snorers out
there.  You can get the nice rubber ones at a hardware store (look in the
safety section) for about a dollar.

What you have looks good for starting. Remember that it is a lot colder in
SoCal than many people think (including myself before I hiked).
Once you get to Big Bear, you'll have a reasonable idea of what you
need in SoCal and can make changes then.  Best of luck on the hike!

Suge

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University