[pct-l] Fuel Amounts for Pepsi can stove

The whole difference is BTU content of fuel per pound. That is the
marvel of science. Alcohol gets beat 2:1, so the advantage of the light
weight of the pepsi can gets lost in the picture.

_____

The BTU comparison is about right for alcohol vs white gas, and I suspect
it's also true for propane.
_____

> The turning point when weight of Alcohol becomes the critical element I
> would guess is out about 6 to 8 days.could pencil that out, but I'm
> lazy.

A thruhiker on the PCT will typically resupply every 5 or 6 days.  On the AT,
it's less than that.  Advantage goes to the alcostove.  Oh, and what about
that extra propane canister you should be carrying because you never know quite
when that first one is going to run dry?

The extra weight of the backup alcostove you feel you must carry (in case the
primary stove clogs, loses a critical part or gets too cold to fire up in the
morning) also tips the weight equation.  Alcostoves don't have those
problems, and they're really cheap, too.

But, hey, the MSR Windpro is a very nice stove.  No argument there.  If you
are "baking cakes at 20 minutes each, and 20 minute pasta", don't even think of
using an alcostove.  Just not the tool for the job.  When we're sharing a
stealth campsite, I'll carry that extra canister for you in return for a piece of
that cake!