[pct-l] JMT in early June

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Michael Ng wrote:

> I'm attempting to hike the JMT southbound in early June, around June 1st
> (because that's the only time available to me).  I understand that snow
> might be an issue along the way, particularly on the passes.  I was
> hoping to hear about other people's experiences and maybe what I can
> expect along the way.  Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Going southbound is going to cost you a bit here. The north facing slopes
usually have more snow left on them. That means you'll be climbing in snow
and down on dirt and rocks. Still, it's doable. You'll get to meet some
thru-hikers coming the other way, who should be able to tell you about
upcoming trail conditions.

-Karl

Karl Brandt
http://people.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/