[pct-l] Watch and Altimeter

Here's a link to a chart for the standard atmosphere that relates
altitude, pressure and tempurature:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wstdatmo.htm

I have a Nike Ascent watch that seems to have similar accuracies in
measuring altitude as others discussed on the list (usually within 100ft,
hysteresis is evident after elevator rides).  The Ascent's claim to fame
is that it reads barometric pressure and altitude simultaneoulsy with its
'zero drift' technology.  How it does this, I don't know.  My guess is
that it has some kind of mathmatical algorithm that works out the two
since a pressure change due to going up/down in elevation or weather
change would be indistinguishable to a pressure sensor.  Anyway, the
altitude reading has typical accuracies and the weather prediction is
usually right on for a 5-8hr forecast (it shows a little icon for it's
weather prediction then shows the graph of barometric trend).  I've seen
it on ebay for less than $100.  Don't bother with the temperature gage
though, you have to take the watch off for about ten min. so it's no
longer reading your body heat, the compass works good though.

Ben

PS If anyone has any info on how the 'zero drift' works on this watch I'd
be curious to know.