[pct-l] Fuel Amounts for Pepsi can stove

The results will blow you away Sly, believe me. Its worth penciling out.
For very short trips, ie 2 to 4 day weekend outing, no question the
pepsi can rules. But for extended trips, and considering thru hike which
you can figure a "fuel/day" weight burden when you multiply that over
the entire trip of 6 months, it's extra weight. Not to say the
convenience of a professionally designed stove, with simmer valve, easy
set up. The MSR Windpro was the first stove I considered as a real
competitor to the pepsi can setup, since it has simmer valve and very
light weight AND since it has a hose to the can, you don't have to put
stove up HIGH on top of the can, I don't like that design (snow peak
mini stoves) Too many times water gets spilled, and is hard to
windbreak.

The whole difference is BTU content of fuel per pound. That is the
marvel of science. Alcohol gets beat 2:1, so the advantage of the light
weight of the pepsi can gets lost in the picture.

The turning point when weight of Alcohol becomes the critical element I
would guess is out about 6 to 8 days.could pencil that out, but I'm
lazy.

Now the other issue is availability of fuel. I travel internationally,
and I can ALWAYS find propane canisters. I have a hell of a time finding
alcohol internationally sometimes. For the US, I'd be willing to bet you
can get propane canisters in Wal*Marts where you buy Heet. But heet also
available at gas stations, so there is one up for the Pepsi can stove.
So bottom line for me, I made the pepsi can stove plus 4oz fuel my back
up stove. Its so light, its worth the wt as backup.

The other big issue is when you put in 2 oz of fuel, many times it burns
out right when you need more heat! Damn.have to reload, and that is a
bit unsafe. With propane stove of course, just keep the damn thing
running till you are DONE COOKING!!!  What a concept.

Here are the cold.(warm) hard facts: This assumes ONE heating per day
for either stove. Other stove equipment such as wind shield, matches
etc. is assumed same for both stoves, so not included.

PEPSI CAN STOVE:

Stove, snuffer can, simmer lid, can for support of pan  =  3.5 Oz

Fuel for 12 days =  8 fluid Oz for 4 days X 3 = 24 fluid Oz  =  21 Oz
[8 fluid Oz Alcohol weighs 7 Oz weight]

                                                          Fuel Bottle =
2 Oz   [conservative = empty water bottle, I'd use heavier bottle
myself]

Total weight PEPSI CAN Stove setup with fuel for 12 days = 26.5 OZ

 MSR WINDPRO PROPANE STOVE:

Stove including simmer valve, flex hose to canister  =  6.5 Oz

MSR "small" canister propane (8 Oz propane) = 12Oz

(note weight of empty canister = 4 to 5 Oz)

[Note 12 heatings from 8 oz is conservative. Three of those 12 heatings
were baking cakes at 20 minutes each, and 20 minute pasta. I bet you can
actually get about 15 heatings if strictly 10 min, but we'll call it 12]

Total weight MSR WindPro Propane Stove setup with fuel for 12 days =
18.5 Oz

Here is the startling facts  for thru hiker.

Figure 6 months hike X 30day/month = 180 days

180 /12 = 15 increments of 12 days

26.5 Oz - 18.5 Oz  - (Dead weight difference of empty water bottle
compared to empty propane can 4-2 =2 Oz)

= 8 - 2 = 6 Net Oz heavier using Pepsi can per 12 days

6 x 15 =  90 Oz   OR over whole thru hike  of 6 months you are carrying
5  pounds more weight TOTAL (not in your pack per day!!!) using  Pepsi
can stove because of weight of Alcohol

But mathematically this is tricky, not that easy. If you base it on
refilling every 4 days, the Pepsi can will win!!  For 6 to 8 days, the
Windpro begins to win. If you are conservative and worry about fuel and
carry 3 or 4 bottles of Heet, you really make the  pepsi can stove loose

I'm my book its close enough to have the better stove.

There you have it

Propane rules!!