[pct-l] Non-PCT Miles

So you're a thru-hiker.

Over the next few months your adventurous soul will endure deserts, mountains,
blisters, mosquitos, ramen, snow, heat, rain, fog, 4000 foot-breathe-robbing-ascents,
6000 foot-lung-collapsing-decents, emotional swings that rival bi-polarity...

You get the idea.

For the uninitiated,  you will soon learn of the greatest obstacle to your journey:

Walking non-PCT miles.

Yes, as you walk the PCT north out of Seiad Valley your journal will reek of emotional
musings of natural beauty, flora, fauna and the wonder of it all.

However, when walking the Devils Slide Trail into Idyllwild, your daily journal will
seethe with anger, no, utter disdain for the  hideous 4 mile descent into town.
(Nevermind it's a beautiful walk) Nevermind the ascent back to the trail with a full
pack. You'll chastize your rationalizing mechanism for not HITCHING A RIDE at
the Pines to Palms Highway. Why, why, WHY?!!?

For these are not PCT miles my friend. These are not PCT climbs and descents,
these miles DON'T COUNT.

Leash  your scorn my fellow misguided-wanderer , redemption awaits you. When
nearing the town of Wrightwood, by all means DON'T WALK into town on the
Acorn Trail. Heavens, no! HITCH A RIDE off Highway 2.

Ok, I'll quit. But you get the idea. :)

No 2 side trails are more maligned than the Acorn Trail and Devils Slide. There's
probably a reason for that. Those non PCT miles DO add up. I'm certainly not above
 hitching on occasion. Just remember, it's all part of the journey, nothing is excluded.

Oh, if you've never walked these 2 trails, go for it. They really are nice.

TIC,
Scott Parks

Art          : http://DelNorteResort.Com/art
Home     : http://DelNorteResort.Com/