[pct-l] Foot care secrets in the desert

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Jesse Whyte wrote:

> Anyone have any nifty secrets they'd be willing to share?  The basics
> being a given, of course:  treat hot spots immediately, use moleskin
> liberally, and make sure that shoes/boots fit perfectly.  Anyone have
> any problems with new insoles causing blisters or anything else that
> really surprised them in the desert segment?

Actually, I find moleskin does more harm than good. It's never slowed the
progression of blisters for me and always rips open the blisters they were
meant to stop when removed.

Spenco Second-Skin on the other hand worked miracles. Even torn exposed
blisters would heal underneath while continuing to hike. Also, I like to
pop blisters fairly early with a sterile needle. This keeps them from
getting so engorged as to grow or even break.

I found the technique in Jardine's book of taking one's shoes & socks off
at _every_ break very helpful. Besides, it just plain felt good.

After the fitting of your foot wear, I'd say that choice of socks is most
critical. For me, thin liner socks with any heavy over-sock worked best.
The perfect setup for you will of course vary.

-Karl

Karl Brandt
http://people.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/