[pct-l] Re: Cell phone ettiquette

> > There was an article in Backpacker Mag about whether or not cell phones
are
> > a good idea to pack.

> These things used to bother me years ago, but I am a pragmatist. If it's
> there and is useful for emergencies, then why not use them. Thinking we
are Daniel
> Boone in the midst of a great wilderness with no one else around on the
PCT
> is just fantasy. Why should others be required to support such a fantasy
by
> leaving their electronic gadgets at home?

That's one opinion. I often carry both a cell phone and a 2-meter radio. The
radio can drive purists even more nuts since there's no earphone. My opinion
(as stated on my PCT Repeater Guide www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct ):

"Mind your manners. Most people go backpacking to get away from it all and
many don't want to hear cell phones and radios. If you need/want to use your
radio, do so quietly and discretely out of sight and sound of others. If
someone comments, politely explain what ham radio is and how it could help
them in an emergency. And, of course, if there is an emergency use your
radio to get help if possible."

AsABat