[pct-l] Question from Guy

In a message dated 4/8/04 10:12:59 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
msaenz@mve-architects.com writes:

> There was an article in Backpacker Mag about whether or not cell phones are
> a good idea to pack.
> Issues raised and argued were:
> 1) Inconsiderate behavior of making others have to endure your phone call
> from mountain peaks like "guess where I'm at?!!!
> 2) The survivalist purists who sneered at having an "umbilical cord" to
> civilization.
> 3) Those who pack them for safety purposes (I fall into this category).

These things used to bother me years ago, but I am a pragmatist. If it's
there and is useful for emergencies, then why not use them. Thinking we are Daniel
Boone in the midst of a great wilderness with no one else around on the PCT
is just fantasy. Why should others be required to support such a fantasy by
leaving their electronic gadgets at home? If I REALLY want to be alone in a
wilderness with a Daniel Boone fantasy, I travel completely off trail where a map
and compass (or GPS if I'm so inclined) are truly essential gear and the
chances of running into other people is nil