[pct-l] San Felipe hills

> I started this stretch at first light and had shadows on the north
> faces until the 1st  gate.  Your idea is also good, but
> beware..........the first 4 miles has lots of flesh-grabbing cholla!

I tried hiking the 1st part of the San Felipe Hills as a night hike, and
quit after a mile or two. The reason? Rattlensakes. Every step I took, I
could hear their very loud rattling in the bushes to each side of the trail.
I eventually worried myself enough that I would step on one, that I pitched
my tent in the first semi-level area I could find.

> Here is where the good campsites are:
> Just 3 miles in there is a nice spot.
> After 5 miles you will see a dry waterfall with a beautiful campsite.
> You don't get another opportunity until about mile 10, then there are
> several after that.

Hrm.
I don't remember any of these. I remember a small alcove-like area that
*might* have enough room for a tent, I ate breakfast there, since it was the
only shade I could find. The next even halfway decent spot I saw was after
the 3rd gate, where someone on this list found my empty tent while I was out
hunting water :)

Next year, I want to try and get thru this with as little daylight showing
as possible. Man, it was a hot, nasty section. As long as I can get to the
3rd gate w/o much sun, I'll be happy. After their, the hills shaded me,
their were wildflowers out, and I enjoyed the hike immensely. But then
again, from the 3rd gate on it's mostly downhill, so that could have helped
my attitude a little :)

Gray