[pct-l] discrepencies between mapped PCT routes

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me factual information concerning the
differences between the PCT route as marked in Schaffer's book (I've the
newest editions for Southern and Northern CA, although the maps appear to be
the same as those in the older editions), and the PCT route as it appears on
some of the newer TOPOs out there.

I ask because I am using National Geographic's TOPO software to get better
elevation profiles of the trail segments, and I've noticed that the TOPOs
included with the software include the PCT route. However, the PCT route
mapped onto these newer TOPOs diverges from the route specified in
Schaffer's guidebook.

The actual discrepancies are minimal, and do not concern me in any "real
world" or practical way. My question instead arises more out of simple
curiosity, and I was wondering if anyone could explain the discrepancies.
Not to sound anal, but I'm not interested in conjecture on this point (I
myself with my friends can posit any number of reasons why the discrepancies
"might" be there). Rather, I was wondering if anyone knew for a FACT whether
Schaffer's route or the route shown on the National Geographic TOPOs is more
accurate.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Robert