From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Eric Yakel
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 5:17 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Illegal Contacts

After working in Law Enforcement for the past 16 years and knowing several
people who work the Border Patrol in the Campo area, I can say this is not
HIGHLY unusual.  I was informed that about 10 groups of hikers and several
motorists a year are robbed in this area every year.  I hate to do it, but I
might be carrying my small off-duty revolver when I thru hike the trail in
2005.  I think I might carry it till I get to my house at mile 125.  I won't
charge for security of anyone who wants to start with me also...  Mountain
Goat has already signed up.
      Just curious.....   What do you folks think of this idea.  Have I
labeled myself to much of a redneck?
                                  Eric Yakel