[pct-l] insects!

Hi,

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Hiker wrote:
> BUT from the stats, DEET is considerably safer than aspirin.

I've used 3M Ultrathon (thats the one everybody seems to like) once. It
irritated my eyes (I could barely see and spent 20 minutes on a stream to
wash it off again). It also didn't seem to work too well, maybe for half
an hour or so. (Kings Canyon NP)

> The data on permethrin is considerably more troubling, and if you are going
> to be concerned about anything I would worry about that first. Have a look
> at http://tinyurl.com/36qty

There is some information material at
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/permethrin.pdf

It seems to be a quite safe chemical from what I read on the web. I have a
bottle of 13.3 percent permethrin in my shelf. Have played for nearly two
years with the idea to use it on an outer layer. But I read warnings that
the smell of it is bad and it is hard to wash out of clothes. Permethrin
in high delutions kills fish - which I like to catch. So, I'm not eager to
use it. But all reports indicate, that it is very efficient in killing
bugs.

Ilja.