[pct-l] Mt. Whitney question

On Mar 22, 2004, at 1:51 PM, Trekking Amy wrote:

> One thing you should keep in mind is that unless you're doing the
> Mountaineering trail (which is a bit more challenging), you do need a
> $15 permit to climb Mt. Whitney.  For more information on permits (the
> permit season is currently closed, but should re-open in April
> sometime to sell remaining permits), go to:
> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/mt_whitney.html

I would double check this. As I understand it you need a permit to
enter the Whitney Zone regardless of which trail you use. You may not
need to sign up for the lottery to use the mountaineer's route, but I
would not assume that you don't need a Whitney Zone permit. Contact the
Inyo National Forest about permit regulations before you set a date for
your trip.

Mark

-----
Have fun or die trying - but try not to actually die.
http://www.AboveCalifornia.com
Got Mac OS X? Get the AboveCalifornia Sherlock Channel:
sherlock://www.AboveCalifornia.com/sherlock/SherlockChannel.xml?
action=add

Wanna frag? Add the ..::LVL Sherlock Channel and get the newest Quake3
maps:
sherlock://www.AboveCalifornia.com/sherlock/LVL/SherlockChannel.xml?
action=add