[pct-l] Mt. Whitney question

Jon,

The popular route up Whitney is the "hundred switchback" trail a.k.a. the portal route(seems like a thousand?).
But there are other routes....

http://www.peakware.com/encyclopedia/peaks/routes/whitney.htm

class 1 is a simple walkup
class 2 is a walk up without a trail
class 3 is a hand-over-hand scramble
class 4, you're packing ropes, helmet and other gear.

I'm not a climber, and I'm sure there are folks on this list that can clarify the class descriptions above,
But I did Mt Sneffels last August and, though it was a (hard) walk-up, with a short class 3 section just under the peak, I would have been more comfortable with a rope while climbing through "the keyhole".

The "north face" and "mountaineer" approaches to Whitney look scary just from the topo...

In my humble opinion, I would do the portal approach to see if the altitude is an issue before I tried anything that would require difficult descent.

If altitude isn't a problem, in terms of altitude sickness, then there's always the thin air to deal with.

At 11k I'm working to catch my breath.
At 12k I'm running it down to catch it.
At 13k I'm sucking wind every 50 yards
At 14k the adrenaline kicks in and I'm breathing in gasps through a clenched grin on my face...

THEN, I'd learn to use the climbing gear before I considered attempting anything close to a 3-4 class where the base is already a hike away (I think both the north face and mountaineering routes are quite a ways from the trailhead...

Good Luck!

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m