[pct-l] Rattlers?

My two cents:

Having lived in Southern California all my life, and being outdoors for as much of that life as possible,
I have only encountered a handful of rattlers.

But...

I've seen them on doorsteps of suburban tract homes, on roadways (one tried to strike my car as I drove over it), in vacant lots and of course, on the trail.
Point is, they're just about everywhere.

Good news: in each encounter (except the drive over), the snake made itself conspicuous by it's rattle.
Never has one attempted to strike and ALWAYS took an opportunity to get away from me. Even when I just about stepped on one near the Ortega Highway, it rattled as it was crawling away from under my boot (and that was one HUGE rattler).

I've heard that the old cutter's kits do more damage than good.
If you're hiking solo, keep a cell phone in your pack. I carry a GPS/radio and a cell phone. Even at 14k+ atop Mt. Sneffels in Colorado, I got service. It's usually easier to get to a peak or ridge to get cell service than to get back to the trailhead.

Simply being aware of your surroundings (something that comes naturally when I'm solo) goes a long way to avoiding rattlesnake encounters. Don't be poking around those shady holes under boulders, etc.

Now, I've also heard that rattler anti-venom, if needed, isn't always available. Even at whatever local hospital you get lucky enough to get to.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m