[pct-l] PCT relevency

The price of gas is related to the PCT in two ways
 1. High prices can be used as an excuse to drill for oil and natural gas in
areas that are currently off limits to such activities. Last time I checked,
the PCT crosses quite a number of these areas. I, for one don't wish to see
these areas degraded so that the price of gas will go down. I prefer other ideas.
2. Most thru hikers save up money to hike the PCT so that they can do without
income for 5 to 6 months. If gas is selling at $3 a gallon, it kind of eats
into that savings account. Many people eliminate or curtail their vacation
plans when gas prices get too high
   Snowmobiles in Yellowstone affect the PCT. Many off roaders are unhappy
that wilderness areas are not multiple use areas. They feel they are being
discriminated against. They are a special interest group that must be dealt with.
If not, they will eventually gain access to protected areas. The battle in
Yellowstone is a major skirmish in the war to keep them at bay. If they win in
Yellowstone, they will be emboldened to change laws to allow off road vehicles in
protected areas. Last time I checked, the PCT passes through numerous such
areas
   National budget questions directly affect the PCT. Budget cuts for
agencies administrating public lands lead to poor enforcement of regulations such as
no off road vehicles or mountain bikes in prohibited areas. Poachers and
lumber thieves are also emboldened. Take the Tehachapi Mountains, for instance.
They have been trashed by dirt bikers who know that the odds of being caught and
fined are very small. Budget cuts for public land agencies only exacerbate the
problem and also lead to less fund to maintain the PCT, which must then rely
even more on volunteer labor
  Any more questions about relevancy?
  David C