[pct-l] Trail conditions - CA Sec C - Silverwood Lake

I hiked Section C from Highway 173 near Mojave River Forks Dam to Interstate 15 in Cajon Canyon yesterday with Capt. Bivy - 29 miles in 12 hours. Following are the conditions we found. (I've left off seasonal streams with very small flows that look like they could disappear shortly.)

TRAIL CONDITIONS:

There was no sign where the PCT turns at the large maintenance sheds from west to north to meet Highway 173 (C14 Section 32). Approaching the fenced maintenance area, ignore the road going around to the left and instead look right, on a small mounds just left of the gate at the highway. There is a 4x4 post there. Walk to it. There is a PCT emblem near the gate but not on this post. This is where the PCT follows the shoulder of Hwy 173 across a bridge over the spillway.

The current guidebook mentions that the start of the TRAIL segment (C15) heading south from the highway is indistinct although marked by a PCT post at the roadside. There was a brown fiberglass post just off the highway that had no PCT emblem on it. Follow a patch angling up towards a gate visible on a dirt road above. Where the path crosses a dirt road there is a wooden post with a PCT emblem. The trail continues just below the gate. It is no longer overgrown with brush because of the 2003 fire.

Starting above this jeep road, heading south towards Silverwood Lake, until reaching the Cleghorn Ridge in Section 2 on Map C15, the trail is eroded in places. On some steep side hills, there is extensive sloughing of loose soil onto the trail tread, the tread is completely covered, with just the footprints previous hikers to walk on. We were glad we had trekking poles to maintain our balance. I would definitely not recommend bringing riding or pack animals on this segment. There were a few places where some minor scrambling was required (see below). Although we had no difficulty getting through, the lack of good trail tread did slow the pace a bit.

There is one blowdown (scrubby oak tree) blocking the trail near the Chamise Picnic Area (C15 Section 6), which can be passed uphill.

We met a helpful ranger at the Highway 173 underpass. I asked about when the park might reopen, telling him that thirsty PCT hikers will be looking for water. He thought it should be at least partially open in May and to call the park or check their website (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=650) for info. Meanwhile, the Silverwood Lake park is closed. We did see lots of volunteers and staff cleaning up the damage, which was extensive. It appears that the floods after the fire may have caused more problems than the fire.

The ranger also advised that the next section of PCT was going to be very rough going and almost impossible to find. From the freeway offramp at the PCT post, the Ttrail was missing. We took the ranger's advice and walked up Road 2N47 about a half mile. Shortly after the road fords the flowing river the PCT is visible on the right. (C15 Section 1)

THE MOST DIFFICULT TRAIL DAMAGE is on Map C15 in Section 2. The TRAIL IS COMPLETELY MISSING at one gully, completely washed away. A use route drops straight into the gully, perhaps 10 feet down, using a burned bush for support, then scrambles steeply up the other side. Hikers can get by using caution and common sense, but horses and such would have great difficulty if they got through at all. Beyond this is more side hill with soft soil sloping across the trail until Cleghorn Ridge.

North of Cleghorn Ridge, a blowdown partially blocks the small stream crossing at 3,830' (C15 Section 34)

WATER REPORT:
(I've left off seasonal streams with very small flows that look like they could disappear shortly.)

There was water in both seasonal streams shown on the bottom half of Map C13:
  *A small pool of water in the first, which probably won't last.
  *A nice pool of water in the second, which the book calls "a small canyon that spawns a trailside spring."

Grass Valley Creek (C14 Section 26) had plenty of water.

Summit Valley Country Store appears to be closed indefinitely. Many of the windows were boarded up with "Closed" spraypainted on them, as well as multiple hand-written "closed" signs on the door. We did not check to see if the water faucets were on.

Road 2N33 to Cedar Springs Dam (C14 Section 33)- there was a single one-gallon water bottle here. I'm not sure if this was a private CACHE but should not be relied on. (I've leaving it off the water page.)

There were some small pools of water where the PCT goes below Cedar Springs Dam (before the spillway) (C14 Section 32).

A few water sources that are not in the guidebook but are shown on Map (C15 Section 6), and may not last long:
*The stream flowing into the lake at Chamise Boat-In Picnic Area had a trickle of water that could be pump filtered.
*The stream flowing into the lake at Cleghorn Picnic Area was flowing with some small pools.

The West Fork Mojave River was flowing with lots of water both on the Silverwood Lake entrance road and where Road 2N47 crosses the river. (C15 Section 1)

The small stream at 3,830 has lots of water. (C15 Section 34)

Finally, Crowder Canyon had slow moving water at the crossing, and much better flows downstream. (C17)

STAY HYDRATED:

It was quite warm for the first day of spring, and the trail is unshaded for most of its length, although shade was easy to find for breaks. I carried and drank every bit of 2 gallons of water, half of which mixed with Gookinaid Hydrolyte. I still was dehydrated when I finished.

Water reports have been added to www.4Jeffrey.Net/pctwater

AsABat
www.4Jeffrey.Net