[pct-l] Pink Motel Package

EZ_hiker,
I don't want to put the cart before the horse(or llama, goat, dog, cat, etc).
:>)

I read about your training on your 2004 pct trail journal.  Honestly, I think you probably can do the hike without the cart.  Your journal says that you have been training with a pack over 30 lbs but that you wanted to go with the cart due to your back problems.  You felt that you wouldn't be able to hike with 45 lbs day in and day out.  I don't think that you would have to.  Many thru hikers have a base pack weight (excludes food and water) of 15 lbs or less.  I never weighed my food but the number I have heard most often is around 2 lbs of food per day (the more fat in the food the lighter it is per calories).  As an example, a 5 day resupply + 4 quarts of water would put you at 32 pounds at the very beginning with your weight decreasing all the time.  This would put your average weight much lower.  The longest section many hikers do without a resupply is in the sierras (the stretch from KM to VVR).  There are a couple of opportunities to hike out and resupply along this stretch (lone pine and independence).  Also there is plenty of water during this stretch, so you don't have to carry as much and you have done 700 miles so your in better shape.

With back problems, I would definitely go with a pack that has a good internal (or external)frame and a well fitting hip belt.  This should take most of the weight off of your back and onto your hips.  I would make sure to go somewhere like REI or another store where they have someone fit you with a pack and you can try it out loaded with weight.  You should be able to get a pack like that for under 5 lbs.

If you think none of this will work, look into pack animals such as goats, llamas, etc.

Hope I helped,

Bryan W