[pct-l] Fwd: FW: Section N--Belden-Highway 36

In a message dated 3/15/2004 11:10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time, info@pcta.org
writes:
Trail update?????

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Jones [mailto:michael1977@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 3:42 PM
To: info@pcta.org
Subject: Section N--Belden-Highway 36

Two major slides closed the Chips Creek segment several years ago.  It has
been reopened for a couple years, with 2 half-mile-long reroutes not shown in
the PCT guide book. The first reroute is just before (south) Myrtle Flat. The
reroute 2 miles above (north) Myrtle Flat involves two fords of Chips Creek
which can be challenging in early season.  The Williams Cabin burned down in the
Storrie Fire in August 2000.  All that remains is a door and some pots and
pans.  There is always reliable water at Williams Cabin site, Myrtle Flat, a Chips
Creek tributary that crosses the PCT at 5,500' , Cold Springs, 0.4 (July) to
0.7 (October) miles down the Carter Meadow Trail, and Soldier Creek spring.
Poison Spring is iffy.  We try to get most of the winter fall cut off the trail
by mid-July.  There is a 3/4 mile-long passable, but mildly annoying, brushy
segment just north of Butt Mtn, that we won't get to until autumn.

Michael Jones, trail maintenance coordinator
BCHC Sutter Butte Unit
(we're the adoptees for PCT from Belden to Highway 36)