[pct-l] berni the pilgrim's guide

On the subject of dogs, and what they like, one has
to mention the late Berni of Castrojeriz who, every
day, picked out a pilgrim and accompanied him to
the next town, where the locals would return him
home.    You can read one account at
http://www.iespana.es/diariosdeperegrinos/diario/12.htm
and others reported the same experience,
e.g. Sue Kenney on her CD,
http://www.suekenney.ca/mycamino.htm
but when
I stopped at La Taberna in Castrojeriz I read
a newpaper article posted that said that Berni had
died
earlier in the year, due to poisoning, whether
by accident or intention I don't know.

The terrain there is relatively flat but incredibly
hot during the summer. Here are my photos of
Berni's beat, but with Berni
prominently missing:

http://camino.oakapple.net/photo/es/burgos/2003-05-29/