[pct-l] Maps vs books

So far, my experience with Section "A" has been of well defined, fairly broad trails. PCT trail markers at times are more abundant than necessary, in very few but critical turns, they're confusingly absent (though I realized the wrong turn quickly and got back on trail). Maps are not necessary.
But I ALWAYS carry a Topo of the trail I'm on (preferably a 7.5 minute USGS). Not because I need it for navigation, but to learn more about the surrounding area and terrain I'm hiking through. I use them to anticipate lunch and rest spots, vertical gains (and drops), vegetation, streams, etc.

I'm familiar with trail conditions in the San Jacinto and San Bernardino forests. For the most part, they are all very well defined as well.
Southern California crowds beat a path down pretty well.
I've heard that there are plenty of trail portions in the Sierras that are through rock fields and/or snow fields that leave the trail very undefined by sight (others can confirm this and cite locations). A good map can keep you on track.

So, if the question is "are the guide book maps adequate to keep you on the trail?", then Yes. At least before you get to the Sierras (IMHO)
If the question is "are maps necessary?", well, it's up to you and your comfort/familiarity level of where you're at.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m