[pct-l] Hiking the trail with your dog (horse?)

Is forcing a horse or llama to hike cruel?

Many dog are specifically "working breeds", and in fact, are most happy when
they are working.  I have an Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) and he is
most happy (judging by his silly grin and the increased the bounce in his
step) when we are backpacking, trail running, or peak bagging.  For him, the
longer the better.

Craig