[pct-l] Re: Hiking the trail with your dog

We seem to hear a lot more stories of the dogs that start the trail than
those that don't finish.  I would surmise that there are a lot, lot more of
the latter than the former, and people quite naturally don't like to admit
they were wrong so we seldom hear of the non-completions.

The key words from the extensive preparations described below are "without
suffering".  I'm not sure how a human knows if a dog is suffering until they
just lay down and refuse to walk or they just start shivering.  Just because
a dog looks (we think) adoringly at us, we get the impression they are
happy.  They could be saying instead  "If you love me (please, please),
you'll take this stupid human contraption off me."  In the chicken-egg
sequence here, I think gear manufacturers were looking for something else to
create a profit, came up with dog saddles, and people decided if they can be
bought, it's natural for a dog to wear them.

Pulling a dog sled, being in the chase (a natural behavior), being with
numerous others of one's own kind is one thing; having to carry weight on
their backs is something else and nothing will convince me that it's
natural.  I'd be curious what percentage of the dog's weight is food, water,
1st aid and ID +.  I suspect it's greater than the recommended max 25% ratio
for humans.

It is my fervent hope that if the dog becomes disenchanted with the Trail,
the human will think of the dog first and himself second in regards to not
forcing the dog to continue out of loyalty to its "master".

I'm aware dogs have made it the whole way but I suspect they are statistical
anomalies.

I wish the dog well.
JD Schaefer