[pct-l] Food Packages -- Priority Mail vs. First Class

No matter how you ship - always address your supply boxes to yourself AND
ALL YOUR HIKING PARTNERS BY NAME. That way, any of you can pick up the boxes
for all of you if need be. There are many reasons why that may need to
happen.

I've mailed re-supply parcels for years along the  PCT. Never had a single
one go astray. Even had them returned at the end of the season by
postmasters when I didn't pick them up. Yes, it adds a lot of cost to my
trips but I KNOW what's waiting for me for meals, prescriptions, supplies,
etc. I don't have to take pot-luck at local stores. The pickings can be
meager. I don't pay postage to ship things I know I can buy locally -
batteries, sunscreen, soap, etc. If I get in too late to pick up my package,
I just get an extra lay-over night that I can probably use anyway. I
schedule my hike so I don't arrive on weekends in spots where the PO is
closed (Belden) or on short hours. If I have to slow down or speed up on the
trail to stay close to that schedule, I do it.

If you use the US Mail - DEFINITELY USE ONLY PRIORITY MAIL and ship 2 weeks
ahead of when you expect to be there. Yes, I know they claim 3 days to
anyplace but it's a lie! If you ship to Truckee, NV (I-80 at Donner Pass),
allow 3 weeks. For some unexplainable reason, there is an on-going problem
getting priority mail into that place.

I much prefer to use UPS because I can track each box and confirm delivery
on the internet. Not all resorts and the like pick up packages daily so do
your research and build in the extra time or you could be facing a long
wait.

Wandering Bob