[pct-l] buying bear canisters

>From a legal standpoint, you'll have to spend a lot of time looking at web
pages and making phone calls to try to find out where a cannister is the
only way to store your food.  I tried doing this last year and eventually
gave up.  The National Parks have been discussed recently.  The Ansel
Adams is a problem, though.  Whether it is the best way for a thruhiker to
store food is a more charged topic and one that I'll avoid.  I will say
that you probably won't want one south of Kennedy Meadows, although that
was the only region I had met thruhiker who had food stolen by Yogi
(the ursine, not the author).  From my experience last winter, it seemed
that Inyo NF had the strictest regs, and I would start there first.

A few generalities, though.  I saw more bears in SoCal and in NorCal
(north of Old Station) than in the Sierra.  In fact, I only saw one bear
in the Sierra, and that was above Monache Meadows, a day out of KM.  I
saw one or two in WA.  I think you'll probably find 1 cannister for 2
hikers to be a tight fit on some resupplies.  If you don't go out of the
Sierra to Lone Pine or Independence, you'll probably be hauling 10 days of
supplies each.  That might mean 2 Garcia's, each.

Suge

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 barclayb@comcast.net wrote:

> Hey friends.
>
> Should I always store my food in a canister for the whole hike if it is both the most effective and also sometimes the only legal camping method?
>
> If the answer is yes, where do I buy one, will I only need one for 2 hikers and do I keep it far away from my campsite?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Big Bear

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics