From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of
Slyatpct@aol.com
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 5:34 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Mt. Shasta

In a message dated 3/7/2004 9:12:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
judsonb@internetcds.com writes:

> Personally, having climbed Shasta in July, I would advise thru-hikers
> against it unless they are experienced at mountaineering in the Cascades.
It
> is a much greater commitment than Whitney.

Is that so?

I had absolutely no mountaineering experience anywhere never mind the
Cascades before I climbed Shasta, but used a little common sense, some of it
learned
during the climb.

A couple things to consider, much like traversing the High Sierras on the
PCT
without crampons, we didn't start out before sunrise as the main group did,
but waited until later in the morning when the snow softened up before
starting
out.

If you do take crampons make sure to take them off before a sitting glissade
as I witnessed a couple doing.

If you don't take a helmet try not to climb directly behind another, but
spread out to either side and watch for falling rock.

Take an ice ax as I mentioned in my previous post.

That said, as with hiking the trail itself, take any wisdom and advice from
this list with a grain of salt and act responsibly.  I'm quite thrilled I
took
the time to climb the mountain when the opportunity presented itself,
regardless of if the "best climbing was over".

YMMV,

Sly